Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chapter 13- Section 1

Chapter 13, Section 1 was taught on Thursday. I was not in class on Thursday due to the volleyball game so I am way behind and kind of lost, unfortunately. I knew if I missed the class I would be lost, but i really wanted to go and support the volleyball girls. I have done the homework, and followed as you did examples on Friday but I still dont feel comfortable with what I've learned. I am not confident enough to make my own examples for this chapter so I will do a few that I feel are simpler and easier for me to do. I will be sure to ask many questions on Monday, to make sure i get clarification on the things i feel lost about. Chapter 13-1 applies finding arithmetic and geometric sequences.

When doing these problems, you will first need to identify the sequence and its type.

Arithmetic- when the sequence of numbers has the same number added to them. Arithmetic Formula: tn= t1 + (n – 1) (d)

Geometric- when the sequence of numbers has the same number multiplied to them.Geometric Formula: tn= t1 x r^n -1

Examples:

1.State whether it is arithmetic or geometric. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16
It is geometric because 2 is being multiplied

2. How many multiples of 5 are there between 30 and 525?
The sequence is: 30, 35, 40, 45,…..525
The numbers are being added, so you use the arithmetic formula
525 = 30 + (n-1) (5)525 = 30 + 5n – 5 525 = 25 + 5n500 = 5nN = 100

No comments:

Post a Comment