Sunday, February 27, 2011

chapter 5

This week we learned things from chapter 5 and completed a lot of aleks modules. 5 was about exponents and a couple formulas. Unfortunately, exponents are not the easiest thing for me which is why I think I did so much worse in algebra II. Since I’m not very good at those, I’ll do a formula example.

The first formula we did was the easiest for me. It is:
A(t) = Ao (1 + r)^t

This formula is used with word problems when given a percent, time and rate.
Ao= your starting number
R= the rate
T= time

After you read the problem, you plug in the numbers to the formula, type it in your calculator, and it gives you the answer. (percents must be changed to decimals)

Ex: Suppose you have $1,000 dollars invested at a 7% interest rate. How much money will you have after 2 years?

A(t) = $1,000 (1 + .07)^2
^^ plug that into your calculator and you get $1144.90 as your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment