Sunday, March 13, 2011

chapter 5

Mardi Gras #2
Okay, so for my second blog of the break, I am pretty much going to do the same thing that I did in my previous blog. Like I said, chapter 5 did give me some trouble and I am definitely not looking forward to going back to school tomorrow. I enjoyed my break a lot and I’m sure the rest of you have too. Unfortunately it had to end. Alright back to math.

*I won’t be able to get the final answer because I’m dumb and left my calculator somewhere*

There are 3 formulas that we were given that we needed to know the difference between them and when to use each.

1. A(t) = a0 b^t/k * this formula is used when doubling, halfing, tripling, etc..
2. A(t) = a0 ( 1 + r)^t *used with regular problems with no “special” words
3. P(t) = p0 e^rt * use this one when you see words such as continuously or compounding

Since I don’t have my calculator and they are all worked the same way, I’ll just do one example.

Ex: Suppose a radioactive isotope decays so that the radioactivity present decreases by 23% per day. If 56kg are present now, find the amount that will be present 6 days from noow.

Since there are no key words, you will use formula number 2.
A(t) = 56 ( 1 + .23 ) ^6
You just plug that straight into the calculator to get your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment