Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chapter 4

This week in advanced math we learned chapter 4. This was probably one of the easiest chapters that we have done all year. Well Friday we took the multiple choice portion of the chapter test and now Monday we will be taking the free response portion of the test. I think that I did really well on the multiple choice portion of the test. Hopefully the free response test will be just as easy. Now lets talk about INVERSES.

First: You should graph the equation and make sure it passes the horizontal line test.
(this is so you do not waste time finding an inverse of something that isn't mathematically possible.)
Next: If an inverse, you should switch the x and y and solve for y.

**HINTS:
*If it is x^2 it wont have an inverse because it will be a parabola. (no inverse)
*If it is x it will be a straight line (has an inverse)
* If it is x^3 it will make this weird curve line thingy (has an inverse)

EXAMPLE:
1. y=x^2+4
answer: no inverse (this is a parabola)

2. y=x-4
x=y-4
y^1=x+4 is your answer

I hope that I explained this well and if you think I didn't then you are wrong because I did. Thanks for taking up 5 minutes of my time for 5 extra points. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment